Strives to be in the forefront of higher education in order to give India the High Caliber Healthcare Workforce she needs and aims to raise the institute and its constituent institutes to be among the top ten institutions in the nation
Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth, Deemed to be University, accredited by NAAC with A Grade, is located in the beautiful Pillaiyarkuppam village, on a spacious eco-friendly spot on the National Highway midway between Pondicherry and Cuddalore. Surrounded by several villages in its vicinity, the campus is easily accessible by roads.
The campus being located on a calm and natural habitat where pollution and traffic congestion is far, SBV offers a uniquely peaceful environment to promote academic and mental development of the pupils. The serene atmosphere prevails in both the campuses and provides perfect, convenient ambience to help students stay away from distractions and focus on studies.
The institute is not only known for its marvelous location, but its academic curriculum and values put forward has helped Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth to earn its recognition thrice in succession among the top 100 Universities in India by National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF – 2016, 2017 & 2018). The Deemed University has some major international links and collaborations including IMC University of Applied Sciences, KREMS, Austria; IOWA State University, USA; Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge; Quest University, Perak, Malaysia; and Partners Medical International 9PMI), Boston, USA.
Most Distinct Courses of the Institute
SBV offers numerous undergraduate and post graduate programs under the Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Dentistry, Faculty of Nursing Sciences and Faculty of Allied Health Science. SBV’s Mahatma Gandhi Medical College & Research Institute, which has been ranked as the first among the private institutions in the Union territory of Pondicherry and among the top 25 in the country, offers super specialty courses in Cardiology, Cardiothoracic & Vascular Surgery, Urology and Neuro Surgery. The institute offers doctoral programs in 14 disciplines including Medical Education, Yoga Therapy, and Music Therapy, Interdisciplinary research besides Pre, Para and Clinical Specialties.
Instilling Values among the Students for their Overall Development
SBV instills the values like Excellence, Students Empowerment, Collaboration, Innovation, Social accountability, compassion, community service holistic medicine, and scientific rigor among its students to cause their overall development.
SBV is popularly known for its extraordinarily structured programs for medical students and the major initiatives taken to establish those programs are:
- Structured Orientation Program for I MBBS.
- HeART – Rapid rural appraisal using qualitative techniques – An experiential program on ‘Early Community Exposure’ for Undergraduate students.
- STEPS’ a unique, outcome based, integrated, Trans- Disciplinary curriculum for Undergraduate course since 2015 in phased manner.
- CReAMS – Clinical Research and Audit for medical students is a hospital based experiential Module on ‘System Based Practice’ for MBBS students.
- COBALT – A unique COmpetency BAsed Learning and Training model for setting up a high standard in postgraduate medical education in the country.
- Entrustable Professional Activity (EPA) aimed at Postgraduate students of medicine in order to shape them into competent well rounded professionals.
- Must Know, Desirable to know and Nice to know (MDN) classification of curricular content of BDS.
- SCORE-Systematic Competency ORiented Education programme pertaining to the outcome based education concept.
- AERO BICS CHAMP – Academic Enrichment and Research Orientation Program for I MDS. BICS- Basic Integrated Classes and Seminars for II MDS and CHAM – Clinical Holistic and Masters Training Program for Final MDS.
- Incorporating Yoga in Undergraduate Nursing Curriculum.
- Curricular Content Delivery – Infiniti Mind Map model with the objective of enhancing learning skills of all students.
- Observership program for Undergraduate students of medicine at Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA.
- Exchange program with IOWA State University, USA in Public Health Dentistry.
- Integrated modular approach for imparting Undergraduate medical education – a joint venture with Partners Medical International (PMI), Boston, USA.
Two of the highly accomplished alumni of SBV are Suthandira Balan, 2003 batch of B.Sc. Nursing, currently works at Indian Revenue Service (IRS) and Dr. Saravana Vivke, srves India for more than two decades as an IPS Officer.
About the leader of the Institute
M.K.Rajagopalan is the Visionary Founder and Chancellor of the Deemed University, Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth. He is a philanthropist – an educationist and public figure. Mr. Rajagopalan has been ceaselessly striving to establish and sustain world-class tertiary health care setup and medical colleges with a noble intention of serving the underserved and also to churn out quality healthcare professionals who would give their best for the betterment of the community. He has been largely instrumental in facilitating the stellar existence of the institute even before it has entered the first decade of its existence.
Financial Aids Offered by the Institute
The institute offers various scholarships and financial aids to the meritorious and needy students of the society. 20 percent of the seats of the courses offered under faculty of Allied Health Sciences are allotted under Staff Children quota. It offers Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth funding for Research Projects of Faculty / Students. It even offers guidance regarding sanction of seed money for initial work and submission of research proposal for further funds from extramural funding agencies. SBV even allows students to do laboratory investigations for research purposes at free of cost. Along with scholarships for Doctoral programs, the institute offers renewable funds of two crores rupees as fund/seed money for research project, funding for sponsoring seminars, FDP, and awards among many others.
“Words of Trust”
Dr.Ashwin Oliver, an alumnus of MGMCRI, is currently working as an Assistant Professor of Respiratory Medicine at CMC Vellore. He says that MGMCRI had enabled him to understand a sharing of knowledge and learning resources which is standing him in good stead at CMC, the countries third Medical College at the top.
Dr.Allwin Antoo Parakkal is a distinguished alumnus of KGNC and later became Doctor of Medicine at Davao Medical School Foundation in Bajada, Davao city, on the southern Philippine Island of Mindanao he opines that a healthy interaction between Medical and Nursing students was fostered at Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth which has thus enabled him to switch profession from Nursing Sciences to Medical Sciences.