An environment that nurtures the skills and satisfies the curiosity of young impressionable minds so that they achieve academic excellence with innovative teaching methods, collaborative learning in a great infrastructure, is what every parent desires for securing the future of their child.
We learnt about one such school in Bengaluru – the Candor International School. It is our pleasure to share more about the school with our readers.
About the School
Candor International School was launched in August 2011, nestled in 25 acres of prime land in the south of Bengaluru, between Bannerghatta and Electronics City. The location allows for easy access to popular residential areas while at the same time maintaining an atmosphere of serenity and calm.
The school aims to nurture lifelong learners, who, through respect and intercultural understanding, technology, creativity, collaboration and an active engagement in community service, become citizens of the world to contribute, and make a difference, to their generation.
Candor International School aspires to guide young adults who will be catalysts for positive change both nationally and internationally; and who will ensure the protection of the environment, and the preservation of ethical and moral values in an age of constant social, political, economic, technological and environmental change.
Core values of the school
- Love of learning through lifelong enquiry.
- Respect for diversity of people, faith, culture and ideas.
- Concern for community at all levels.
- Integrity of thought, speech and action.
- Openness to adopting the best models.
- Transparency of standards and practices.
Candor School campus is spread over an area of 25 acres, which includes a 6-acre organic farm. The school has Administrative, Kindergarten, Primary and Middle, and Secondary wings. Candor School is a Wi-Fi enabled Campus. The school also has boarding facilities for boys and girls above 10 years. Candor school campus, classrooms, play and sports areas, music studios, labs, libraries, dormitories and cafeteria are all designed to be student friendly, age appropriate, safe and attractive. Heights of tables, chairs, counters, washroom equipment, have been carefully planned and include ramps wherever needed.
The school offers Cambridge and IB Curriculum:
Primary School (Pre-K – Grade 5) – Candor International School is an authorized school for the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IB-PYP).
Middle School (Grades 6-10) – The curriculum for Grades 6-10 is drawn up under the Cambridge Syllabus. From Grades 6 to 8, the schools follow the Cambridge Lower Secondary.
In Grades 9 and 10, students follow the Cambridge Upper Secondary — specifically, the International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) stream.
High School (Grades 11 and 12) – International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme and The Cambridge CAIE AS and A levels are for Grades 11 and 12.
The Passionate Leader
Candor International School is founded by Dr. Suresh Reddy – Chairperson, who believes that today’s children deserve an international education rooted strongly in the values of community involvement and environmental activism. Candor International School is the unique result of Dr. Reddy’s extensive international experience, desire for accessible world-class education, and a value-based school system. Dr. Reddy has also received an honorary degree in 21st Century Building from Keisei University (South Korea) in December 2017, in recognition of successfully creating an environmentally friendly green school.
Emphasis on Holistic Development
Knowledge is beneficial if only we have the wisdom to apply it at the right time and the right way. At Candor, there is the perfect balance between academics and practical application by engaging students in various activities and creative platforms to step into the real world with real challenges. Creativity, Action, Service (CAS) is one such initiative to develop individuals who are reflective thinkers and can take up new roles to face new challenges in life. It is a refreshing counterbalance to academic studies to make a positive impact on the society and the environment. An effective CAS program enables the students to embark on a personal journey of self-discovery in a challenging and enjoyable way.
The school encourages performing arts as part of holistic development of students and also is a center for Trinity Music.
The school entrusted the well-known institute called “The Test Rockers” for delivering the SAT, and the PSAT preparatory program to students. Candor is the official test centre for the ACT exams. In a year around 15 exams slots are available on different time slots as per the student’s convenience.
Number of features set the school apart from the others.
Facilities at the school include a 6-acre organic farm, boarding, music studios, science labs and libraries. Sports facilities include synthetic basketball courts, tennis courts, soccer field, cricket pitch, half Olympic size swimming pool, archery, skating, athletic track and gym. Indoor facilities include throw ball, snooker, air hockey, table tennis, foosball, chess track, carrom and play stations.
The school provides boarding facilities for students studying in Grade 5 and above. Students can choose from weekly and regular boarding. While regular boarders stay on campus during the academic year, and the weekly boarders reside at school from Monday to Friday and return home during the weekends. Candor has boarding capacity to accommodate around 200 students. In 2019-20, the school was ranked No. 7 in India under the category of India’s Top 20 Day-Cum-Boarding School by Education Today magazine.
The school’s Additional Learning Support (ALS) runs the Special Educational Needs programme which caters to the needs of students who require special support, and the needs of gifted students. As parents become increasingly aware of SEN, Candor ensures that the Special Educator is able to:
- Support students with identified learning needs and/or enrich the experience of gifted students
- Raise awareness among staff about identifying and addressing these special needs
Career Guidance and Counselling
The College and Career Guidance Counsellor guides high school students in their search for colleges and universities, both in India and abroad. The Counsellor helps with admissions and funding processes (wherever applicable) and ensures that they are successfully completed. He/she is also the resource person for parents for college and career related enquiries.
Bridge U platform – It is a cutting-edge browser and application tool for navigating the best-fit universities. In addition, the platform helps the college counselling office to send the transcripts (student’s mark sheet, etc.) to various universities and colleges.
University Fairs at Candor – Over top 100 universities from all over the world visit Candor, during which students get first-hand experience on the course module, scholarships, application process and so on.
Counsellors – The school’s Personal Counsellors who are qualified, trained and have the international school experience handle the issues related to such an environment. The counsellors help identify the problem and provide coping skills that enable the children to adjust academically, emotionally and socially. The counsellors are selected based on their ability to build a rapport with students of all ages, and for their ability to maintain confidentiality under all circumstances, unless a breach was deemed necessary for safety reasons.
Awards, Accolades, Achievements
- Candor International School has received multiple awards for its leadership in International Education, facilities, safety, and green infrastructure.
- Ranked #5 in India’s Top 10 International Schools (2015)
- Ranked #1 in Leadership Management Quality (2015)
- Ranked #1 in Infrastructure Provision (2015)
- Ranked twice among the top three in Bengaluru’s Top International Day Schools (2015 and 2017)
- Most Influential Brand in Education Award (2015-16)
- Ranked #1 in Safety and Hygiene (2016)
- Ranked among Bengaluru’s top five International Day-Cum-Boarding Schools (2017-18)
- Ranked #5 Top International School in Bengaluru and #6 Top Residential School in Bengaluru (2018)
- Forbes Great Indian Schools (2018-19)
- India’s Most Trusted International Residential School in the South Zone Region (2019-20)
- Awarded by ‘Brainfeed’ for the innovative approach in grooming young learners with skills for life. For being one of the top international schools, having the best infrastructure and technology, providing a healthy and serene atmosphere to ensure the happiness quotient index for the overall development in all children (2019-20)
- Excellence in Tech-Connect and Sport Infrastructure (2019-20)
- Outstanding Commitment and Exceptional Efforts in Promoting Curricular Education
- Candor International School ranked India’s #9, Karnataka’s #5, and Bengaluru’s #5 International Day-cum-Boarding in the ‘EducationWorld India School Rankings 2020-21’
- Candor International School is Ranked No.7 in India, No.2 in Karnataka & Ranked No.2 in Bengaluru. Category- ‘India`s Top 20 International Schools’ in a survey conducted by Education Today