Education is all about understanding the requirements of the students and providing them with the opportunity to explore themselves. It revolves around realizing the potential of every student and allowing them to understand that they can bring massive changes in society with their dedicated endeavours.
It is truly said that sometimes all it takes to make the most significant change is a will to dream and visualize a future different from the present. Indore Institute of Law (IIL) was established in 2003 with a similar vision. It is a community of like-minded individuals who have the vision to bring innovation and development in the field of legal education by sharing in-depth knowledge of the law and an understanding of the growing demands of the legal industry. The institute creates an apt environment of learning through its unique theoretical and empirical approach with the objective of achieving dynamic teaching and learning processes.
In a very short span of time, IIL garnered the recognition of being the only institute in the private sector to offer all major law courses, i.e., B.A.LL.B. (Hons.), B.B.A.LL.B. (Hons.), B.B.A.LL.B. (Hons.) with Global and Transnational Exposure, LL.B.(Hons.), and LL.M. all under one roof.
IIL provides a multitude of opportunities for students to choose the best possible opportunities for them in the legal education paradigm. The institute believes in the holistic development of students by providing practical training and exposure in addition to the required classroom learning model.
The institute has captured the spirit of transnational educational models for years and coordinated several international trips for the students. This includes trips to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) and International Criminal Court (IIC), Hague, Netherlands, and an educational tour to Hariot-Watt University and Middlesex University, Dubai, UAE.
With a perfect blend of academic teachings, practical training and extra-curricular activities, IIL ensures that an incessant stream of knowledge flows unflinchingly and uninterrupted with the proliferating effulgence of meticulous learning by mentoring and providing consistent opportunities.
Mission, Vision, and Core Values of IIL
IIL was founded with a vision to be one of India’s most prominent law colleges. It has established itself as one of the most recognized law colleges in the country. The institute is committed to providing the best platform for global legal education to students. The curriculum and courses are designed in order to provide complete exposure to the students in both domestic and international law practices.
At IIL, students have the option to choose from a variety of law courses, where they are offered complete law programs along with practical training and research papers to get an all-around understanding of the law in detail.
IIL is driven by the objective of forming a community where people come together and respect the law and take an oath to use it in an honest way for the betterment of society.
The institute has a vision of accomplishing the following:
- To be a globally reckoned institute harmonizing the concept of ‘Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam.’
- To yield just and humane competent legal professionals and responsible citizens who inculcate the building pillars of The Constitution, i.e., Justice, Equality, Fraternity, and Secularism.
- To deliver equal opportunity for education.
- To create a gateway for international advocacy to establish itself as a global centre of excellence for legal education.
Furthermore, IIL is also focused on its mission which encompasses the following:
- Bridging the industry-academia gap through unique teaching pedagogy and capability enhancement programs.
- Establishment of centres of academic research and excellence to contribute to research and bring innovation and evolved perceptions of legal knowledge.
- Creating an ecosystem of research and innovation, bringing academic excellence to the students.
- Establishing a Skill Development Cell to hone advocacy skills and nurture legal professionals who contribute to society.
- Imparting globalized knowledge, skills, and exposure in the field of Alternate Dispute Resolution focused on avoiding denial of justice due to delay, thereby nurturing compassionate and competent professionals
Allowing Students to Develop a Global Understanding of Law
IIL offers students an excellent academic program, which allows them to understand essential concepts of law. Various courses endowed by the institute aim at unlocking the potential of every student so that they can successfully take on stiff challenges in the legal arena. IIL allows the students to opt for a five-year integrated law programme – B.B.A.LL.B. with Global and Transnational Exposure.
Some of the key features of this programme include:
- International certification programmes.
- International educational tours.
- International summer/winter internship arrangements.
- Visit to the International Criminal Court and the International Court of Justice, Hague, Netherlands.
- Visit Parliament House, Supreme Court, High Courts, District Courts, Tribunal Courts, Lok Adalat, etc.
- International competitions – debate and extempore, presentations, quizzes, Model United Nations (MUN), Moot Court Competitions, etc.
- The college has also organized guest lectures and interactions with eminent personalities from the law field, including legal professionals, advocates, judges, and chief justices from national and international courts, ensuring the students get the best exposure and updates in the field of law.
The Driving Force of IIL
IIL is delivering excellent educational and career-development opportunities to the students owing to the fervent leadership of Dr Akshay Kanti Bam, the Founder and Chairman. He aims to promote legal education across the globe and has successfully made it the first degree in central India, where students are eager to make a career in law.
With an eye on the future, Dr Bam made IIL a hub for legal education in the country and has provided the students with opportunities to interact with the global legal fraternity via workshops, conferences, and special lectures. He understands that this will aid the students in gathering more information about the upcoming developments in the field of law and the innovations surrounding it.
Under Dr Bam’s astute leadership, IIL has become one of the leading private law colleges in the country and the number one private law college in Central India.
Providing Global Exposure to Ensure Overall Growth
Over the last 20 years of its illustrious history, IIL has been focusing on the overall growth of its student. The institute’s faculty is carefully appointed for their knowledge, skills, and shared love for the law. This approach has made it unique in its foundation. Where other institutes focus on graduation, IIL focuses on creating professional lawyers who will uplift and lead India to be a progressive society.
IIL has launched various projects in view of providing global exposure to its student. The institute also offers the best internship opportunities to its students so that they accumulate real-time industry experience while studying. This beautifully constructed collaboration of knowledge and skills has made IIL a recognizable institute in India. It has registered its name in the global book of world records for its notable journey.
Opportunities to Explore the Extra-Curricular
IIL has always followed the legacy of many co-curricular and extra-curricular activities to help its students not only get bookish knowledge but also provide exposure to hone their skills. It helps them to discover that special spark that makes them different from others.
To brush up their skills, IIL conducts many more competitions, which include the following:
- Shri Genda Lal Bam Memorial International Debate Competition helps in sharing ideas and thoughts about the burning issue in the country
- Shri Kanti Lal Bam International Model United Nations Conference helps to showcase the oratory skills and the democratic process of the country
- The International Lex Bonanza is an annual law fest that helps in honing legal skills with varieties of competitions and participation from around the globe
- Smt Nirmala Devi Bam Memorial International Moot Court Competition is another flagship event for law students to showcase their advocacy skills.
Numerous students have benefited to date under student exchange programs. IIL provides a certificate of participation, which helps the students to earn credit scores. It also assists the students in getting good marks in the subject. With the objective of inculcating better leadership quality among the students, the institution has set up many clubs and societies which are entirely governed by the students themselves.
Shaping the Students’ Careers
IIL presides over the overall development of every student to land them not just a befitting career but also an opportunity to grow in the competitive world. For that, it has tie-ups with many law firms and corporates where the students can get hands-on practical exposure and get a better knowledge of the subject.
The institute also conducts a series of webinars and seminars regularly. The management believes that the need for education over the online platform is vast. IIL focuses on the short-term certification program in association with LedX – Legal Education by Xperts, where students can access the course material virtually from any location. These online training programs are catered to individuals where the students get personalized, practical, and industry-based learning from expert mentors with one-on-one mentorship programs.
The institute has been striving hard to cater to quality legal education since 2003. As an outcome, it has been ranked number one in Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Rajasthan.
IIL has always contributed towards strengthening the legal fraternity by nurturing 18,000+ alumni who are now working as legal professionals. It has produced 72 civil judges, 2 DSPs, 1 SP, 1 Member of Legislative Assembly from Agar, 1 Member of Parliament from Dewas Constituency, 1 JAG, and numerous ADPOs and Academicians.
Furthermore, IIL has received many awards, which include the following:
- The Most Promising Law College in M.P. by Brands Academy in the year 2015.
- Excellence in Education Awards 2016 for Brand of the year.
- My FM/IDA King awards for the best educational building of Central India Consecutively in the year 2012-2013-2014-2015.
- Best Concrete Structure in Private Sector Constructions Award in 2014 by Ultra Tech.
Nurturing the Leaders of the Legal Arena
IIL had a very humble beginning. However, it has always had a clear vision of creating professional lawyers who will uplift and lead India to be a progressive society. The institute offers its students the best environment to study and develop their skills.
IIL has been adaptive to the latest technological advances in the education system to reduce learning complexity. The institute provides a well-equipped and high-tech computer lab, a library with the latest editions of books, journals, and databases, a sophisticated moot court, well-furnished thematic and interactive classrooms, and internships and placements. It also ensures that the students are engaged in productive activities so that they can develop holistically.