Schools play a key role in shaping the leaders of tomorrow through academic learning and personal development. In today’s interconnected world, it is more important than ever to ensure that young people are also equipped with the skills required to become productive global citizens. TASIS The American School in England achieves this balance and produces graduates who not only succeed in top universities around the world, but also confidently embrace the future challenges and opportunities presented by our global community.
History and Infrastructure
Established in 1976 by the Founder M. Crist Fleming and owned by the TASIS Foundation, TASIS The American School in England is a leading co-educational, independent day and boarding school providing a truly international learning experience for over 600 students aged three to 18, with boarding available for students starting in Grade 8 (ages 13-18).
The School’s beautiful 46-acre campus is located 18 miles southwest of London and eight miles from Heathrow Airport. Students from over 50 nations thrive in an environment where they are encouraged to become lifelong learners, develop international mindedness, and take responsibility for their community and the environment through service leadership.
Each student is provided with multiple pathways through TASIS England’s curricular and co-curricular programs, designed to inspire their learning and challenge them to strive towards their personal potential.
Mission and Values
TASIS England nurtures intellectual curiosity and emboldens each learner to flourish as a principled, openminded, and compassionate member of a global community.
- To promote multiple pathways for each learner throughout the learning environment, the programs, and the community.
- To nurture the intellectual curiosity that will prepare each learner for the opportunities and challenges of the future.
- To encourage continuous personal growth through active engagement and the desire to seek and learn from experiences. Through a balance of support and challenge, students flourish as creative, reflective, and resilient owners of their learning.
- To foster connections and collaboration in the community of learners by cultivating supportive relationships and celebrating the unique contributions of each member.
- Life-long Learning cultivates curiosity, exploration, and discovery, emboldening individuals to embrace a culture of learning and celebrate the journey of continuous development toward personal fulfillment.
- International Mindedness promotes the exploration, communication, and celebration of diversity. Being curious and open-minded to the richness of perspective within our global community creates a desire to flourish through action and service.
- Service Leadership fosters empathetic, compassionate, and principled individuals who take responsibility for sustaining healthy relationships with themselves, their families, their communities, and their environment.
Person Behind the Success
Bryan Nixon joined TASIS England as the Head of School in June 2017. Prior to arriving at TASIS England, he led international schools in locations as varied as the Bahamas, Germany, and the United States over the course of his long career in education.
Bryan built a strong leadership team and focused on partnering with the entire school community to create an updated school Mission and three-year strategic plan.
During Bryan Nixon’s leadership, a wide range of initiatives have been introduced and the School has been continuously improving its performance in all aspects of what defines a high performing school.
- Development of a Hybrid Learning Program so students are able to seamlessly transition between face-to-face, synchronous, and asynchronous learning depending on their needs and circumstances.
- Bespoke scheduling is available to provide individualised learning experiences for all students and a balance of challenge and support, while students can pursue their own academic goals, learning pathways, and interests.
- Four-year university counseling program to ensure students receive timely guidance and support from a team of four college counselors.
- Formalized student support programs in Student Counseling, English-as-an-Additional Language (EAL), and Learning Support.
A three-year “Flourishing Plan” was developed in 2019 and includes the following resources:
- A Wellness Center providing access to dedicated spaces on campus to allow time for reflection, prayer, meditation, or quiet time.
- Student Voice initiatives helping students engage in and develop their well-being.
- Mental Health First Aiders – Dedicated emotional counselors across all school sections including evening boarding support
- Annual “Flourishing School” survey, a school-wide initiative to provide informed interventions for its approach to the students’ well-being.
- Mindfulness courses: for students in Grades 8 to 10 as well as faculty and staff.
- Introduction of dedicated boarding house parents and support workers to create genuine home-away-from home feel.
- Creation of a Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion (DEI) working group with representatives from all parts of the community.
In addition to the above, TASIS England’s extremely low teacher turnover (at 7%) and high student retention (over 80%) is exceptional for an international school.
Academic Programs, Accreditations, Specialisations
TASIS England is inspected by The Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI).
It is also accredited by:
- The Council of International Schools (CIS)
- The New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
- International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO)
The School offers the following programs:
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme and Advanced Placement courses that are recognised by universities and colleges in the UK, in the US, and across the world.
- A choice of international and American curricula and a traditional academic program.
- Robust Sports and Activities programs as well as dynamic travel and student leadership opportunities.
- Extensive Visual and Performing Arts programs.
- Four-year College Counseling program.
TASIS England is committed to providing a safe learning environment that promotes the welfare of children and young people. “Our faculty and staff uphold these values and serve as strong role models. At TASIS England, we have a variety of resources available to students. In 2019, we opened the Wellness Center to provide a place for students to nurture their mental health and well-being,” informs the TASIS England Senior Leadership Team (SLT). “The center provides a multi-faith Prayer Room, a Quiet Reflection Room, and Counselors are available in the evening for boarders. We also promote student voice in a number of ways including an innovative Student Voice Website – created and managed by TASIS students,” the SLT adds.
“At TASIS England we go out of our way to challenge students and develop their resilience. We provide the tools that help students recognise how they can improve, work to overcome challenges, and reach their full potential. Through our service leadership opportunities, our students learn how to be caring and compassionate and how to flourish in life at school and beyond,” says the School.
The School’s extensive academic travel program creates connections between students and other people, ideas, and opportunities by moving their learning beyond the classroom to a global world, the world of the future.
Functioning During the Pandemic
With the safety of students and staff as its highest priority, TASIS England developed an approach to support the entire school community through the challenges of the pandemic by using the 5Cs – Communication, Connection, Care, Compassion, and Creativity. Addressing the lifestyle and mental health implications for the school community was as essential as providing a smooth transition to the Hybrid Learning program.
The school-wide response focused on: Operations – ensure the community’s safety by implementing exceptional hygiene standards; ensure availability of the technology essential for the transition to online learning.
- Developing a Hybrid Learning program to guarantee a seamless continuation of learning for all students.
- Students – beyond continuity of learning, provide opportunities for student connections with their advisors, counselors, and peer group; continue to focus on safeguarding despite lack of proximity (e.g., through The Student Voice website).
- School community – support students, staff, and families by providing holistic initiatives that encompass physical and mental health; establish a “Morale Up” communications plan that includes positive and inspiring social media and newsletter content, physical challenges, well-being tips and support, etc.
- Safety mitigations to reopen the School in August – during the summer, the School installed an extensive range of safety mitigations across campus, alongside robust safety protocols to ensure the safe return of students and staff to campus for the new academic year.
- Co-curricular offerings that operate using clear mitigations to provide students with stimulating and engaging activities and sports.
TASIS England offers a four-year College Counseling curriculum that is unique to most international schools. The school program supports students throughout their many pathways toward their personal goals. The School has a counselor to student ratio of 1:30. “Starting in the ninth grade year, we help our students identify the specific personal, academic, artistic, leadership, and athletic qualities that each possesses. Additionally, by exploring careers and university options, we guide students through the process of setting realistic goals and selecting post-secondary options that are best for each individual,” informs the School.
Students can research their options by attending an annual Careers Expo and individual presentations in the Career Speakers series. Finally, college counselors assist Grade 12 students as they complete their applications, serve as a liaison between students and universities, and answer any questions that families may have.
TASIS England was awarded the “Best Educational Product” Award for its Summer Program by the British Youth Travel Awards 2019.
It has also been named as a finalist for the following awards:
- Relocate Global Award for “School Providing Outstanding Relocation Support” (2019 and 2020)
- Independent School Parent Award for “Independent School of the Year for Student Well-Being” (2020).
TASIS England provides individual pathways for each learner through the School, its programs, and its community
- We are a global community where students of over 50 nationalities thrive in a nurturing, safe, and supportive environment.
- We have a stunning 46-acre campus that inspires learning in a beautiful English village setting.
- We are located 35 minutes by train from London, one of the most vibrant cities in the world, and 20 minutes by car from Heathrow Airport.
- TASIS graduates gain acceptance to excellent universities in the UK (42% of students in 2020), the US (39%), and worldwide (19%).
- 96% of our students go to their first or second university choice.
- AP Results: 89% pass rate vs 67% international average; average mean score 3.9 vs 3.15 international average
- IB Results: 35 average points vs 29.9 international average; pass rate 98% vs 77% international average.
- We have a learner-centered and supportive environment that fosters curiosity, learning, and individual talents.
- Small class sizes (average of 15 students per class); personalized attention (student- faculty ratio of 6:1); experienced, engaging, and caring faculty and staff.
Having successfully achieved the objectives of the 2018 – 2021 Strategic Plan, TASIS England will develop its next three-year strategic plan starting in Spring 2021. This mission-focused plan will ensure that the School continues to promote opportunities for individualised student learning through both the curriculum and the co-curricular programs. In addition, the development of a new 10-year Master Plan will consider potential future campus development projects inclusive of additional classrooms, the renovation of Theatre, Music, and Sports facilities, and how to continue to upgrade facilities to maximise the efficiency of the technology now utilised daily within teaching and learning.