Established in 1998, Baba Jaswant Singh Dental College & Hospital is situated in Ludhiana, Punjab. The college is recognized by the Govt. of India, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, New Delhi, and is affiliated to Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Faridkot. The college enlists an impressive strength of 100 Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) and 12 Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) every year. It strives to impart quality education and provide excellent dental health care facilities to the masses. Medical and dental education being a specialized branch of education, eminent doctors and educationists with vast experience in this field, have been associated with the institute. It aims to create conducive environment for education as well as health care striving to become a top notch institution pan India.
The institute has an impressive campus of more than 11 acres, precisely arranged into a number of functional building blocks separated by lush green lawns, which leaves the visitors spellbound. The campus also consists of the main administrative block, pre-clinical work stations, a state-of-the-art Centre for Advanced Learning with latest armamentarium, dental departments with 300 fully functional dental units, microscope enabled endodontics & restorative dentistry, digital OPG, implants, and CADCAM assisted prosthetics and many more. It also houses a cafeteria, auditorium, bank, cyber-café, sports complex, and recreation center. Two separate hostels for boys and girls with home like comfort and facilities are also situated within the campus.
The college marches towards educational excellence under the fervent leadership of the Chairman, His Holiness Baba Jaswant Singh Ji. An altruistic humanitarian, an enlightened visionary, a spiritually awakened soul, and an ardent advocate of global peace and brotherhood, he is universally reckoned as an embodiment of an ideal human life. Additionally, BJS is headed by luminaries like the Vice Chairman, S. Amarjeet Singh; the Director, Dr. Amanpreet Singh, and the Principal, Dr. D.S. Kalsi.
A Plethora of Facilities
Baba Jaswant Singh College designs programs for masses with holistic health facilities in accordance with the ideology of the BJS trust, which is, ‘service to humanity’. It offers numerous facilities for the academic and career development of the students. Some of these amenities include:
- Four satellite clinics with well-trained doctors, paramedical staff, and students, serving to treat semi urban and rural patients.
- The college periodically organizes free dental checkup and treatment & awareness camps under the supervision of a team of dental experts with the aid of latest diagnostic and curative facilities. This is not only a huge service to the society but also provides numerous learning opportunities to the students.
- The college also extends mobile health care via Mobile Dental Unit which is equipped with ultra-modern diagnostic and treatment facilities for prompt health care delivery in rural, semi-urban localities, schools & colleges.
- Acknowledging the significance of ‘golden hour’ in saving a precious life when met with an emergency or life threatening crisis, there is a provision of ambulance service for immediate retrieval and preliminary treatment in trauma cases.
Extra-Curricular and Co-Curricular Activities
Beyond the academic curriculum, the college provides a variety of opportunities to ensure that the students gather a worthwhile experience while pursuing education. It conducts vibrant events which include white coat ceremony for fresh graduates, fresher’s welcome program, annual sports week celebration, graduation day celebration, children’s week celebrations, intra college debates, intra college creative arts competitions, and many more.
The college has achieved many noteworthy landmarks throughout its illustrious journey. The South Asian Association of Pediatric Dentistry (SAAPD) constituted an award in honor of His Holiness Baba Jaswant Singh Ji entitled, “Baba Jaswant Singh Ji Research Award”. It is awarded every year to the best original research paper at the SAAPD national conference. This prize commemorates decades of unflinching service to mankind and visionary work in the field of education and healthcare rendered by His Holiness Baba Jaswant Singh Ji.
The college has also received the Best Orthodontics & Dento-facial Orthopedics Department award, given at the 9th International Student and 3rd Dental Surgeons Congress. Also, it won the First Prize for ‘Children’s Week Celebration’, bequeathed by the Indian Society of Pedodontics & Preventive Dentistry, at the National Conference, 2019, amongst all dental colleges of India.
The college constantly aims to nurture essential skills among the students, which will help them to evolve into furnished professionals. It focuses on providing training in self-sustenance through procedures such as learning workshops and hands-on courses on various fields of dentistry.
It conducts regular workshops on various titles such as:
- Comprehensive understanding and hands-on workshop in implant placement
- Use of microscope in dentistry
- Aesthetic rehabilitation and smile design
- Dental digital photography
- Conscious sedation
- Basic life support and emergency management
- Research methodology
- Prosthetic rehabilitation
- Latest radiologic techniques and CBCT
- Ozone in dentistry
- Edelweiss dentistry
- Practice management & setting up of a dental clinic
The Future Frontier
Marching forward, the college aims to accomplish various projects which it plans to undertake.
The new projects of the B.J.S. Trust on the horizon are:-
- Sri Guru Amardas Hospital and Institute of Medical Sciences, a 500 bedded fully air-conditioned state of the art hospital and medical college, accessible to all strata of society.
- Introduction of state recognized para medical and para dental courses.
- A computer learning center for skill development and vocational training of under resourced students.
- J.S. International School imparting education to create lifelong learners, responsible global citizens, and champions of academic achievement.