The institute aims to instill and sustain in the students a lasting desire to seek knowledge and to impart to them the skills to acquires it
“The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it” –William James
Following the rich legacy and the educational values of the legendary Dr. Annie Besant, Besant Women’s College was established in June 1977. Being affiliated with the Mangalore University it has been re-accredited with Grade ‘A’ by the NAAC for the third cycle. Incepted by a great philanthropist and visionary late Manel Srinivas Nayak, the then President of the Women’s National Education Society (W.N.E.S), the sponsors of Besant Institutions, the college strives hard to bring higher education within the reach of all women who seek it. It especially adheres the female students who are economically and socially backward so that the ideals of Annie Besant are realized and cherished by many. It is one of the very few colleges, which is available in the district exclusively for women.
Born from a Champion
The college attributes its success to the visionary Founder President late Shri Manel Shrinivas Nayak. Many leaders of the college follow his vision and path to contribute equally to the growth of the college. Current President Sri Kudpi Jagadish Shenoy, who is committed to preserving the priceless legacy of the Besant Institutions, and is constantly enlarging its reach to touch society in new ways, leads the present management team. Being a hotel management graduate from Chennai University, Kudpi loves to involve himself in his work. He quotes “personal service with a smile” is the key secret of success of their group.
He is a versatile personality in the hotel industry of Karnataka state and manages over two-hundred subordinates. Under his tremendous leadership, the hotel owners association of the district has recently won the counted award for excellence from Karnataka Pradesh hotel and restaurants association, Bangalore. Furthermore, he is a recipient of Udyogh Ratan-1995, Rajiv Gandhi Excellence-1996, and has the been honored with the first north American Konkani convention held at new jersey, USA.
Taking Students to Heights of Glory
The college believes that the higher education provided to the students must fetch them proper employment and build a good career for them. The college conducts many career-oriented courses after college hours to supplement the regular university syllabus. Some of these are:
- UGC sponsored courses in computer networking and functional English
- Preparatory certificate course for Chartered Accountants exam
- Entrepreneurship development programme to encourage self-employment avenues
- Certificate courses in embroidery, beauty therapy, computer skills, presentation skills, consumer awareness etc.
- Exposing students to use the internet to get more information on related subjects of their course.
- The college has an “innovation club” to encourage innovative activities among the students
The courses are accompanied with several extra-curricular activities, which help the students to build a strong career for themselves. Furthermore, the college has several tailored “Career Programmes” to supplement the university syllabus.
Fabricating Students’ Careers
The college hosts campus interviews or Job Mela every year either at the premises or at the surrounding colleges where the students participate. The college prepares students for this by providing certificate courses, entrance exams training, and several activities such as skills development programmes, mock interviews, self-confidence building programmes to supplement the university syllabus.
Besant Women’s College has been instrumental in developing eminent alumnus. According to the college, its major achievement is to admit students who have secured passing marks in their PU exams. It even encourages students passing the supplementary exams and converting them to first class students, securing more than sixty percent in the annual exams in the final year.
The college is even more proud in securing a Rank at the university examination, since the 3rd year of its inception, and has been attaining the same continuously. Additionally, the college has shown no discrimination against the admissions and students from the non-creamy layer are brought out as responsible citizens with excellence.
Few Major Conferences held by the College
The college has conducted various annual conferences, seminars, workshops etc. To name a few:
- Innovarious – a National Conference on Youth Entrepreneurship in Current Competitive Arena, “Innovarious – 2018” organized by the Department of Post Graduate Studies in Commerce
- Research and Development Cell has organized a one day workshop on “Research methodology for the students”
- Several programmes on “Cleanliness Awareness” being conducted at regular intervals in accordance with “Swacch Bharath, Swastha Bharath”
- The Department of Commerce & Management of Besant Women’s College in association with IIM Indore organized a two-day workshop on “Business Analytics
- T-shirt painting workshop- jointly organized by the career guidance association of the college along with Dream Zone, School of creative studies, Mangaluru.
Education for Tomorrow
In terms of its age, Besant Women’s College as the educational institute is at quite a young growing age with only forty-one years of establishment. The leaders of the college have framed a 2027 futuristic vision for the growth and prosperity of the college when the college will be at the youth of fifty years.
The college plans to:
Introduce higher benchmarks in all the quality initiatives taken up; Introduce more new PG and Inter-Disciplinary Courses; Student learning through virtual teaching; Establish collaborations and linkages with reputed research institutes, business – houses and employers; Study center for online courses; Improve linkages and convert them to MoUs for extension and outreach activities; Procure more ranks at the university level.