The institute aims to facilitate synergized research amongst faculty, students, and industry in hospitality precincts.
Established in 1962, Institute of Hotel Management, Catering & Nutrition, Pusa (IHM, PUSA) is a premier hospitality institute situated in New Delhi. It operates under the purview of Ministry of Tourism, Government of India, and provides quality hospitality education at the undergraduate and post-graduate levels. These programs are offered through National Council for Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Noida and Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi.
The Institute shifted to the existing campus consisting of the academic block, hostels, and staff flats in 1967-68. Additional academic block and residential units for the staff were added in 1986-87. With respect to being environment-friendly, it has also adopted measures such as solar water heaters, sewage treatment plant, underground water tank, and water harvesting facilities.
About the Leading Light
Kamal Kant Pant is the Principal of the IHM, Pusa, New Delhi. His expertise helped in enhancing curriculum, felicitating faculty, guiding facility planning, formalizing educational and administrative systems in the college. He has nurtured two more institutes before assuming the stewardship of this prestigious institute in 2017.He was the founder Principal of the Nepal Tourism and Hotel Management College in Pokhara for eleven plus years,which was the first college in Hospitality and Tourism Management in that country.
Trailblazing the Academic Turf
The institute proceeds on the conquest of nurturing excellence in aspiring minds. With the focus on this objective, it offers a wide spectrum of courses including M.Sc. (Hospitality Administration), Post Graduate Diploma in Dietetics and Hospital Food Service, B.Sc. (Hotel and Hospitality Administration), Diploma in Bakery and Confectionary, Diploma in Food & Beverage Service, and Craftscourse in Food Production and Patisserie. Some other ancillary courses include Nutrition, Food Science, Hotel Engineering, Hotel Accountancy, and Computers. Many decorated faculties who have won national awards are a part of this institute. They contribute dedicatedly towards the academic development of the students. The institute keeps no stone unturned to provide students with the ultimate educational experience.
Beyond the Curriculum
The institute conducts a variety of exposure programs to ensure the overall development of the students. They make sure that the students also excel in various co-curricular and extra-curricular activities. Following are the various exposure programs carried out by IHM PUSA:
- International exposure by organizing Inter-Country Street Food Festival (Indo- Italian Festival) and Korean Food Hansik Competition
- Winner of Koren Food Hansik Competition visited Korean Food Festival in Seoul, South Korea
- Five students out of seven won Young Ningbo Food Competition in China
- A student won a medallion in World Skill Competition in restaurant service skill held in Abu Dhabi
- Industry exposure is provided to students and faculty to enhance theirskills
- The institute follows the one-on-one and one-on-many technique of teaching, as is carried out by EHL, Switzerland, one of the world’s top institutes of hospitality management
- Theme parties are organized by students
- The vegan month is also practiced annually by students as part of Food Sustainability Practices
- Hands-on experiences are provided in all the departments, as a part of Bharat Parv and Paryatan Parv organized by the Ministry of Tourism
- The institute encourages students to produce and develop new products
- It encourages the students to participate in various workshops, seminars,and conferences across India and abroad
- The institute encourages students to follow the “Do it Yourself”concept in their food and beverage service practical examinations
Exceptional Infrastructural Facilities
IHM PUSA not only offers brilliant educational facilities, but also provides world-class infrastructure, which allows the students to explore, learn, and thrive in various endeavors. It offers numerous amenities like canteen, basketball and football grounds, Wi-Fi facilities, hostel facilities for men and women, residence facility for faculties, gymnasium, bank ATM, biochemistry and microbiology lab, and many more.
Brilliant Career Development Opportunities
The institute offers excellent opportunities to the students and trains them to embark on a journey of career excellence. It has a Placement Cell and Entrepreneurship Cell, which guides them step-by-step, how to prepare for interviews, build their confidence and personality and tackle with the tricky interview questions.
In the academic year 2017-18, leading companies recruited graduates from the institute. Some of them include:
- Marriot- Recruited 25 students
- Dominos- Recruited 10 students
- Shopper’s Stop- Recruited 9 students
- The Oberoi Hotels and Resorts- Recruited 8 students
- H&M Retail- Recruited 8 students
Many students have passed out of the institute and are working as management trainees with the retail sector and all core departments of hotels. Some of them have become entrepreneurs and are running their own businesses. Graduates of the institution are working with leading companies and are earning a minimum salary of Rs 1, 80,000 per annum.