The college aims to impart education in an ambience of humanity, wisdom, intellect, and innovation to nurture the students to become competent and committed professionals with disciplined ethical values
Established in 2002, Malla Reddy Engineering College (Autonomous) – MREC (A), Hyderabad started with 240 intake, offering four branches of engineering- EEE, Mechanical, ECE, and Biotechnology. Now the college offers 7 UG programs which includes a UG programme in Mining Engineering and 5 PG programs in engineering and MBA, with the total student strength of about 4500 (in all the years put together). M.Tech. in structural engineering and M. Tech. in thermal engineering are NBA accredited.
The college always emphasizes on improving the infrastructure. It provides various distinct facilities including:
- Knowledge Resource Centre – the central library facility in the college houses numerous titles and volumes of books pertaining to the fields of science, engineering, personality development, career guidance, and competitive examinations besides many reputed research journals.
- LabView academy is established in association with National Instruments to train the students on Virtual Work bench, a tool much used in designing by most of the core companies.
- IBM centre of excellence– an outcome of MoU with IBM provides training on various IBM tools to the students that strongly impact the placement opportunities of the students.
- HP Centre of excellence – an outcome of MoU with HP focuses on training on DevOps the recent trendsetting tool in the industry. It is the first college in the state of Telangana to enter into MoU with HP in relation to the training on DevOps.
The college owes its success to the Founder Chairman, Ch. Malla Reddy. His quest to make MREC (A) a top notch institute, brought it to the position that it enjoys today. In the sixteen year old journey of the college, the first decade witnessed steady growth under the intellectual steering of Prof. R. Madan Mohan the Founder Principal. The second decade till date or the Post 2012 era witnessed a rapid and multi-faceted growth under the dynamic leadership of Dr. S. Sudhakara Reddy. He worked for the transformation of the institute systematically and with a lot of determination.
Few decisions taken by Dr. S. Sudhakara Reddy that transformed the institute into a new plane:
- Encouraging UG students to take up real time projects and making it compulsory for the PG students to publish a research paper in a journal based on their project work.
- Encouraging the faculty members to pursue Ph.D., to take up research projects funded by external agencies, to take up consultancy work, to author books, to publish patents
- Creating infrastructure to facilitate the faculty to adopt modern teaching methodologies.
- Creation of a system to communicate attendance, internal marks and the results of external examinations directly to the parents.
- Introduction of Pre BoS meetings was admired by the JNTUH and emulated by many other autonomous colleges under JNTUH.
The college is at a relatively younger stage. Therefore, even the oldest alumni of the college are still at the middle level management or in the budding stage of entrepreneurship. Some renowned alumni of the college include Dipika Prasad of Biotechnology from 2005 – 09 batch, co-founded an urban governance initiative called Lakeer. She attended 48th World Economic forum meeting as delegate and speaker. Another student from the department of ECE, from 2006 – 10 batch, Sreenath Kashyap went on to scale the academic heights and perceived M. Tech. from SRM University and Ph.D. from C U Shah University. He is the vice principal for an emerging engineering college at Hyderabad.
Throughout its illustrious journey MREC has achieved many accolades. It received Rs. 4 crore grant from World Bank in 2014 under TEQIP – II to support the management efforts in creating state-of-the-art laboratories in every department. It is the only private engineering college in Telangana which received affiliation for Mining Engineering from JNTUH for the academic year 2018 – 19. EEE, Mechanical, and ECE got accredited for the second time by NBA while Civil and CSE got NBA accredited for the first time in the year 2014.
Leadership qualities and organizational skills are improved among the students through the annual national student level fest ‘Akshara’ organized by the students themselves, usually in the month of March every year. With due respect to the women empowerment, Women’s day is celebrated on March 8 every year. With the intention of promoting innovation among the students, college celebrates Engineers’ day, with the title ‘Vishesh’ commemorating the birth anniversary of Sir Mokshagundam Visveswaraya on Sep 15 every year.
The college works for the betterment of the students and aims at providing them quality career opportunities. It regularly conducts campus recruitment training sessions for the benefit of the students besides various skill development trainings like AWS, CCNA, HP DevOps, etc so that they can get selected for reputed MNCs.
The entrepreneurship development cell in the college regularly conducts awareness programs and training sessions to motivate students towards entrepreneurship – to make them job providers than to be job seekers.
The college plans to build an ecosystem that incubates many start-ups in the campus. Also, it plans to promote research culture both in the faculty and the students.