The college aims to grow into a center of excellence by providing quality education and empowering women to take their place in society.
St. Mira’s College for Girls is situated in Koregaon Park, one of the most green and beautiful parts of Pune. The college sports white arches, well laid out green lawns along with a beautiful botanical garden. Both the spacious sanctuary hall and high-tech auditorium can accommodate about 500 students. In addition to an AV room, most of the classrooms are equipped with either overhead projectors or smart boards. The library spans two floor possessing a digital library and television for audio visual viewing. The college has ample grounds for sports with a well-equipped gym. Apart from the 32 well designed classrooms on three floors, the college possesses a homeopathic dispensary, canteen, girls’ common room, infotech center, science, commerce, psychology, and language laboratories. Last but not the least there is adequate parking on the campus.
Accreditations and Major Academic Programs
St Mira’s College is the first arts/commerce/science college in Maharashtra to be awarded academic autonomy under the aegis of the renowned Savitribai Phule Pune University. It is also the first college to voluntarily undergo NAAC accreditation in Pune, in 2002. It has been through three cycles of NAAC and is an A Grade college.
St Mira’s is an autonomous college which offers academic flexibility. The core/elective options are:
Degree Courses: B.A.– English, Sociology, Economics, Psychology; B.Com–Banking, Cost Accountancy, Business Administration, Business Entrepreneurship; B.B.A. (HR, Sales and Finance); B.B.A.(C.A.); B.Sc. Computer Science; M.A.: Sociology, Economics, English; M.Com: Business Administration, Accounts; and M.Sc. Computer Science.
Students can also opt for additional credit courses like: UG certificate programme on ‘gender and development’ in collaboration with Women’s Studies Centre; SPPU; performing arts; yoga/pranayama; self-defense; Tally 09; travel and tourism, spoken English, foreign language – Spanish, French, basic/advanced IT, MPSC/UPSC/NET/SET coaching, athletics/sports, and so on.
St Mira’s boasts of a long list of accomplished alumni considering it is a relatively young college. The girls have gone out into the world and have made their mark in every field. The principal of the college Dr Gulshan H. Gidwani is proud to be an alumnus of both the school and college as is Dr Bhagwanti Nanwani, Director of Sadhu Vaswani Institute of Management Studies. Dr Manju Nichani, the retired principal of K.C. College, Mumbai is also an alumnus of the institute.
About the Principal
Dr Gulshan Gidwani is the Principal of St Mira’s College. Her leadership efforts have been directed at articulating and implementing the organisation’s vision and purpose. She has always thought out-of-the-box and has had the courage to initiate change far ahead of its time. Being an ardent leader, she is always accessible to all the students and provides them guidance and support.
St. Mira’s distinguishes itself as an educational institution that builds competence by default and character by design. In their 55 years of academic service, they have developed the necessary constructs for imparting a value based education, which gives them an exclusive identity. Their endeavors have won them several awards and honors that reinforce their commitment to excellence. Some of them include:
- Best College Award conferred by Pune University, 2004
- The Vidya Ratna Award instituted by International Institute of Management, 2005
- First among 18 colleges in India to be awarded with the status of College with Potential for Excellence (CPE) by UGC in 2005
- Awarded an ‘A’ grade in the NAAC re accreditation process in 2012
- College with Potential for Excellence status awarded for the 2nd time in April 2014.
- Principal Dr. G.H.Gidwani has been awarded the Jewel Of India Award in The International Women Achievers Award in 2012, and the ‘International Kukkiwon Award’ for 2016, in appreciation of and in recognition of prescribing ‘Self Defense’ as a subject for Girls for the last 15 years and for promoting inter cultural harmony! (Kukkiwon is the world Taekwondo headquarters in Korea)
- Several of the college’s teachers have received Best Teacher awards from various acclaimed organizations
The institution organizes many curricular and co-curricular activities for the overall development of the students. It has organized several activates over the years. Some of them include:
- A Musical Adaptation: Romeo and Juliet
A contemporary musical adaptation of Romeo and Juliet conducted by the students. The video was uploaded onYouTube.
- CWE: Centre for Women Entrepreneurship
Inaugurated the CWE at the hands of Nabomita Mazumdar, ‘100 Women Achievers’ awardee by Ministry of Women & Child Development, President of India.
- TEDx Talk on 3rd Mar 2018 discussing the theme “Elephant in the Room”.
- National level Conference on “Public Policy, Governance and Advocacy: Towards a Sustainable Society”.
- PEN International On the 28th of September 2018 in collaboration with SPPU, the PEN International Conference came to St Mira’s.
Career Opportunities and Exposures
St. Mira’s has an active placement cell where the students undertake internships during the course of their education and then are recruited through campus placement in companies like Intelligence Plus Pvt. Ltd., Just Being Centre, Centre for Mental Health Services in collaboration with Teach for India and Tick-links, L& T Infotech, Mphasis, Deloitte, Cognizant, Syntel, Extensia, and Adweb Software.