The University aims to be a globally recognized organization encouraging academic excellence through interdisciplinary applied research and to expand realms of knowledge through innovation.
In the year 2002, Chitkara Educational Trust founded its Punjab campus and Chitkara University was established by the Punjab State Legislature under “The Chitkara University Act” in the year 2010. Being one of the best universities in Punjab, it is recognized by the government with the right to confer degrees as per the Sections 2(f) and 22(1) of the UGC Act, 1956. Presently, it has more than 13,000 students and 800 faculty members. The university has a sprawling campus of 65 plus acres of land with 40% of green landscaping. It has world class laboratories with ICT facilities. The campus is equipped with a plethora of latest technology, sports facilities, playgrounds/tracks, in-campus banking, courier, and shopping facilities. Chitkara has 12 schools in the fields of engineering, management, architecture, nursing, healthcare, pharmacy, media, arts & design, education, hospitality, applied sciences, and applied engineering. The university has very strong industry tie ups. Ranked among top 20 private universities of India, it has unmatched record of the best placements in top companies such as Infosys, Deloitte, Google, L&T, Godrej, SAP, Pepsico, Ericsson, Microsoft, Wipro, HCL, Hindustan Lever Limited, EClerx, Morgan Stanley, Citibank, Standard Chartered Bank, Ernst & Young, Evalueserve, Phillips, Dabur, and many more for the students of engineering and management.
Unveiling the Path to Research, Education, and Innovation
The prime motive of Chitkara is to carry out the academic process for achieving excellence through active teacher–student–industry participation. It marches ahead with the objective of inculcating high moral, ethical, and professional standards amongst the students, and contributing to building a skillful society.
Engineering programs of the university are amongst top 20 at the national level. Chitkara Business School is ranked in top 70 management institutes of India as per NIRF ranking 2018. Hotel management and architecture programs are also ranked amongst top 20 at national level. The business school is member of EFMD and aspires to get international accreditation by 2020. Their healthcare programs in physiotherapy, healthcare, healthcare IT, MIT, and MLT are ranked amongst the best by several agencies. The university’s media school has their own FM 107.8 channel. As a part of social responsibility, Chitkara has adopted six villages around the campus and helps them grow intellectually, economically, and socially.
Chitkara University Research & Innovation Network (CURIN) provides huge innovation and research opportunities for the faculties in terms of many flagship programs, patents and copyrights, various consultancy projects, conferences, workshops, seminars, extension lecture, leadership excellence awards and recognition, and so on. Nearly 200 patents filed by the university speak volumes of its success in research space. They are strong in creating start up opportunities for their students through Centre of Entrepreneurship Education Development. Currently, more than 100 student startups are operational and the university is very rigorously building ecosystem for budding entrepreneurs.
“Explore your potential” is the tagline of the university. They employ a group of talented faculty which includes academic scholars, experts who advise top Indian corporations, and the authors of important texts in technology and business. The university also has faculty who develop fresh approaches in labor relations, information management, human resources, and many other fields. Chitkara organizes Global Week every year in which more than 75 accomplished, eminent, and distinguished faculty from around 22 countries, across 53 universities from six continents conduct educational sessions for more than 3000 students.
Chitkara has produced around 30,000 graduates who have been successful at various walks of life and are very well settled across the globe. Pranav Arya (ME Batch 2002) is a pilot for the President of India and Shivum of CSE Batch 2003 is a MiG Fighter Pilot. Amandeep Singh Sidhu (ME Batch 2002) is 2nd Lead at Amazon in California. Ushank Khanna (CSE Batch 2003) is working in the New York Stock Exchange. Jaiveer Bawa (Batch 2009 CSPA) is working with CENTRUS and is a visionary architect and project manager for the Parliament Hill Rehabilitation project which is currently the world’s largest rehabilitation and heritage restoration project ever undertaken. Gunraj (CSE Batch 2011) is working with Google. Gunveen Kaur (CSE Batch 2003) is HCL Lead and Hema Nagpal (CSE Batch 2011) is working with Toshiba, a Japanese multinational conglomerate headquartered in Tokyo.
Chitkara University is a dream envisioned and realized by Dr Ashok K Chitkara and Dr Madhu Chitkara, the two academicians dedicated to the mission of spreading education. Through their diligence and inspiring leadership, they have helped to create a learning environment that represents a unique blend of distinguished faculty, brilliant students, and positive collaborations with the industry.
A renowned mathematician and a legendary academician, Dr Ashok K Chitkara is the Chancellor of Chitkara University, Punjab, and Chitkara University, Himachal Pradesh. His perspective and farsightedness in the field of education has rendered future promising prospects in the fullness of time. His contribution in the field of pedagogy is serviceable both nationally and internationally, as he always believes that education makes minds, not careers. Born as a teacher, his journey towards excellence started with foray into the field of mathematics, being an optimal mathematician with over 36 years of teaching and mentoring experience. He has more than 36 research papers to his credit and six students have completed their PhD under his guidance. The establishment of Chitkara University was a turning point in the career of Dr Ashok K Chitkara as it pronounced the foundation of an educational system which would help reach the upcoming generation to the zenith of their success. Under his leadership and guidance, more than 40 programs are offered at the university. It is his strong academic mentorship that resulted for the university to have more than 165 academic partners across the globe.
A teacher by heart with a quest of excellence in mind and education as a mission of life – describes Dr. Madhu Chitkara, the Vice Chancellor of Chitkara University, Punjab. She is also Pro-Chancellor of Chitkara University, Himachal Pradesh, Chairperson of Chitkara International School, and Co-Founder of Chitkara Educational Trust. Her journey started as a teacher of mathematics. Dr. Madhu has actively contributed to the tremendous growth and recognition of the university throughout all these years and is spreading the light of education in the life of tens of thousands of people. With a passion for academics and great business acumen, she has had a diversified career and variegated experience in the field of education spanning 42 years. She is one of the few women Vice Chancellors throughout Punjab and Himachal Pradesh. She is highly knowledgeable, focused, a strategic leader, and has a passion for excellence.
The university not only provides excellent educational facilities, but also offers a wide array of co-curricular and extra-curricular activities for the overall development of the students. It has conducted various events throughout the years and has collaborated with various renowned organizations.
Some of the major events include:
- Chitkara University hosted 69th Indian Pharmaceutical Congress (IPC), a three day international conference
- The biggest annual event of the culinary fraternity – CAFR 3rd Chefs Conclave & Awards was hosted by the university in association with Chefs Association of Five Rivers CAFR
- Chitkara University, Punjab hosted National Student Research Convention Anveshan 2017-18 in association with Association of Indian University (AIU), New Delhi
- COMPUTE 2018, an international symposium was organized by the university in collaboration with ACM India
- It hosted the 12th edition of Redesigned Virtual Round of BAJA SAEINDIA
Throughout its illustrious journey of delivering excellent academic and career opportunities, Chitkara University has achieved numerous milestones. It has collaborations with more than 150 universities around the globe. Some of the notable achievements of the university include:
- Chitkara University has been awarded as ‘Best University in North India 2018’ for outstanding contribution to education and skill by CEGR, Centre for Education Growth and Research
- Chitkara University has been ranked sixth in the ‘North Zone’ & 20th in ‘All India’ in the category ‘Top Private and Deemed Multidisciplinary Universities’ by The Week–Hansa Research Survey 2018
- The university has been awarded “Best Private Engineering University of North India” by Dialogue India Magazine
- The Academic Insight Magazine ranked Chitkara Business School as Business School of the Year
- Business Standard rated Chitkara Business School “Best in Punjab” and amongst Top B-Schools of India in a B-School survey conducted by IMRB
- India Today ranked Chitkara Business School 68th among top 100 B-Schools of India and Best in the Region in 2018
- Outlook ranked Chitkara Business School 64th among top 100 B-Schools of India
- Careers360 rated Chitkara Business School AAA+ and Best in the region in 2018
- Chitkara University has been awarded with ‘Certificate of Excellence’ by Virtusa, for being the premier institute for Centre of Excellence in JAVA & Cyber Security
- Chitkara University bagged Overall Championship Trophy at All India Inter Zone University Tournament
- Chitkara University Ranked 4th among Top Indian Universities for filing 46 patents as per IPR Annual Report 2015-16
- NIRF Ranked Chitkara College of Pharmacy 50th under Pharmacy Category