The Institute aims to establish itself as a learning ground for a value-based higher educational hub to meet the challenges of global competitiveness.
Shri Madhwa Vadiraja Institute of Technology & Management (SMVITM) was founded in 2010. It is situated at Bantakal in Udupi. In spite being one of the youngest institutes in the region, SMVITM has made remarkable strides in its journey towards excellence over the past five years. It has emerged as one of the most promising engineering institute with its well-qualified and motivated faculty, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and distinguished learning-centric facilities.
The Astute Leader
The visionary responsible for the many milestones that this college has achieved is none other than H. H. Shri Vishwavallabha Theertha Swamiji of Shri Sode Vadiraja Mutt, who at a very young age of 20 years established this institution. At an age when students dream of completing their own education, he envisioned the noble cause of making the dreams of the rural children of the region come true. The dream of becoming the budding future engineers of the country was made possible by Swamiji. He aimed at providing affordable technical engineering education to the underprivileged and meritorious students of the region.
The Jewels of SMVITM
Being a fairly new college, SMVITM has produced five batches of graduates. Their alumni are well placed in companies like Infosys, TCS, Wipro, Amazon, Cognizant, SAP Labs, SLK Software, Tessolve Semiconductors, Juego Studio, Specbee, Tayana Software in Bengaluru, and Robosoft Technologies, Preuba India, Niveus Solutions, Karmic Designs, Diya Systems, etc in the Mangalore-Udupi-Manipal belt.
Throughout its journey of attaining educational excellence, SMVITM has achieved numerous milestones. Some of them have been mentioned below:
- The Institute has made academic partnerships/MoU with leading industries/organizations like SAP Labs, Bengaluru; CVC Pvt. Ltd., Bengaluru; Advanced Electronic Systems, Bengaluru; Vinayaka Engineering Works, Mangaluru; University of Agricultural & Horticultural Sciences, Shivamogga; and FE Designs, Bengaluru for training/internship/project work/continuing education programs for the students, faculty, and staff.
- Establishment of R&D Centre funded by KCTU, Dept. of Commerce & Industry, Govt. of Karnataka on technology up-gradation of cashew processing equipment in the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
- Collaboration with CSIR, NAL, and ISRO scientists for student training/outreach programs.
- ISTE sponsored faculty development programs. The students bagged the State Level “Best Student Award” consecutively for the fourth time last year.
- Regular organization of various technical/social service programmes under the banner of ISTE Student Chapter, NSS & YRC Wings as well as Rotaract Club.
- Conducting science model and project exhibitions to recognize, nurture, and motivate talented PUC students of the region every year.
Major Events Organized
The institute not only provides exceptional educational facilities, but also carries out various events for the development of the students and the society. Below mentioned are some of the notable events organized by SMVITM:
- Adoption of Innanje Village for Socio-economic Development: Enabling the villagers to use products of science & technology useful in their daily lives by imparting required skill sets at their doorsteps.
- The Annual National level student convention/project exhibition on Industrial Internet of Things (IIOT- 2K18) – was last held in Shri Madhwa Vadiraja Institute of Technology & Management (SMVITM), Bantakal, under the aegis of the Student Chapters of the Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE), Internet of Things (IoT) Club, and IEEE Student Branch at the institute premises on 27th October 2018.
- The college has recently initiated the “Management Talk Series” by inviting industry experts to talk on management related topics which will help in integrating technical and management skills to make the student aware of the importance of management skills at work.
- The college organizes state level, inter-collegiate, techno-cultural fests, and project model exhibitions every year to recognize and reward talented students.
Financial Support Initiatives
SMVITM not only provides impressive educational facilities, but also takes initiatives to provide financial assistance to the students in need. Institutional merit-cum-means scholarships and other attractive scholarships/awards have been instituted by benevolent well-wishers, charitable trusts, and Govt. departments. The college has provided scholarships to students worth Rs 2.23 crores in the financial year 2018-2019.
Career Opportunities and Exposures
The college has a dynamic Placement Department, which has assisted the students to earn employment opportunities in renowned companies. The aim of the placement department is to equip students with adequate skills based on their interest and aptitude to find the right and relevant career options. They offer trainings, awareness and exposures to various fields and sectors, be it a private or govt. job, specialized trainings for merchant navy, opportunities to join the Indian Defense Forces, higher education options, entrepreneurship workshops, to help students step confidently into their next phase of life.
With respect to the skills of the students, the college management has taken measures to conduct various kinds of trainings regularly. These include aptitude, soft skills, technical skills brush-up sessions, industry expert talks, exposure to different industries and sectors through industry visits and internships, competitive exams awareness and coaching for GATE, GRE, CAT, GMAT, and so on.