The human race has witnessed tumultuous growth since its genesis. Through ages, man has succumbed to numerous dark times, drought, famines, plagues, and epidemics. But it was the human capacity to think critically and apply the knowledge, even at the time of calamity, has paved the way for the coming generations. Similarly, several challenges in education have been met by cumulative and extensive research through years to deliver a growth-inducing and sustainable education system in India.
Research and development go hand in hand, as research helps bridge the gap between knowledge and change.
Dr. Preeti Bajaj is one such educator who has been persistently thriving to make phenomenal advancements in education through research and innovation for more than three decades.
The knowledge review takes honor in showcasing this dynamic and visionary educator.
Early career, professional journey, and milestones
Dr. Preeti Bajaj holds a Ph.D. in Electronics Engineering with MBA, with 31 years of rich administrative, academic, and research experience. She is currently the Vice-Chancellor of Galgotias University, Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
Dr. Preeti has achieved many milestones in NAAC A+, NIRF Rankings, 30 Crores plus grants including DST-NIDHI-TBI, AICTE-Magradarshan, UGC-Paramarsh, World Bank-TEQIP-I & II, ARIIA ranking, Indian Patent Rankings during her leadership roles in various academic institutions. She is a tech lady, giving thrust to research, innovations, and entrepreneurship at Galgotias University.
IEEE is the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers and the world’s highest apex body in engineering, which decides standards across the globe. She is an active IEEE volunteer for more than 22 years and has executed many leadership roles of IEEE in India and abroad. She is also a Chair-Education Activities Committee IEEE Region10 – Asia Pacific, Member-Section Education Outreach Committee (SEOC) – Education Activity Board of IEEE, USA, and a member of the CII Northern Regional Committee on Education for 2021-22.
She is an expert in Computational Intelligence, Intelligent Transportation Systems, Education Data Mining, and Healthcare. Her professional society affiliation includes Fellow- Institute of Engineers, Fellow IETE, Senior Member- IEEE. A total of thirteen students have completed their Ph.D. under Dr. Preeti’s supervision and on the panel of Ph.D. examiners to many universities. She has co-authored three book chapters and co-inventor for three patents and 150 publications with more than 1000 citations.
Dr. Preeti has served on various governing bodies, including the General Council of National Board of Accreditations New Delhi, BOG of IEEE HKN USA, BOG Of many Academic Institutions, and BOG of the vocational board Maharashtra. She is also a member of the NEP steering committee of the UP State Government.
She is a recipient of IEEE MGA Achievement Award 2021 for exemplary Contribution and Dynamic Leadership in Achieving Rapid Transformation of IEEE Educational Activities with Several Geographic Units.
She is also a recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award by IEEE India Council 2020 for subsection and FICCI Road Safety special Jury awards.
Reinventing the academic structure
Dr. Preeti Bajaj had recognised and contributed to the link between academics and innovation way back from 2012, and many features of the National Education Policy 2020linked academics with innovations and internships way back from 2012 many features of the NEP 2020 since 2015 across many institutions under my mentorship.
She has worked very closely on credit transfer systems with industries, and the model has been working very well for the last ten years. In the first year, NCC and NSS as credit courses and social internships during undergraduate programs, the course on innovations and entrepreneurship has set up new directions in the formal education system. Outcomes are in terms of many well-established startups and innovations
Dr. Preeti, a big advocator of Outcome-Based Education, has trained more than 1000 faculties on the same, designing and innovating the academic structure that shall shape students and generations.
Under Dr. Preeti’s leadership, Galgotias University has achieved many milestones, some of them are mentioned below:
- E-Learning Excellence for Academic Digitisation by QS I-Gauge E-Lead Certification for Excellence in Online Learning – 2020.
- Placed in Excellent Band by ARIIA 2021
- In the band of 76-100 for Pharmacy and Management, listed in 151-200 top universities of India, 177th in Engineering Category in NIRF INDIA RANKINGS 2021 as declared by MHRD
- Secured 3rd position for uploading maximum E-Contents on Uttar Pradesh Higher Education Portal among the all 76 plus Universities in Uttar Pradesh
- Received UGC-12B status.
- Ranked 3rd in India and 1st in Uttar Pradesh in OBE Ranking 2021 by R World Institution Ranking
Galgotias University, transforming education
The Galgotias University, Uttar Pradesh, sponsored by Smt. Shakuntala Educational and Welfare Society, has been established by the state of Uttar Pradesh under section 2(f) of the UGC Act, 1956 vide The Galgotias University Uttar Pradesh Act, 14 of 2011.
In 2022, the university grew to more than 16000 students. Galgotias University aspires to be and is on a fast-track to becoming an internationally recognized university that excels in multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary education, research, and innovation, educating globally competitive graduates with the potential to become leaders in their fields of endeavour.
The ‘students-first’ philosophy is a big reason why Galgotias University is consistently ranked among India’s top universities. The focus of Galgotias University is on a low student-to-faculty ratio that promotes plenty of personal attention and mentoring opportunities. The record-breaking placement at Galgotias this year is an apt testimony to its focus on upholding the highest academic standards right from selecting top faculty, introducing world-class pedagogical practices to the personality development of the students.
Galgotias University has 13 schools, 19 Departments with 53 UG programs, 36 PG programs, and 25 Ph.D. programs. We have approvals from various Councils [Pharmacy: Pharmacy Council of India (PCI); Law: Bar Council of India (BCI); Nursing: Indian Nursing Council (INC); Architecture: Council of Architecture (COA); Education: National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE); Hotel Management: Norms of National Council for Hotel Management (NCHM)].
The University has won several awards; some of them are listed below:
- ARIIA Ranking 2021: Placed in the Band of Excellent under the Category “University & Deemed to be University (Private/Self-Financed) (Technical)” in Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievement (ARIIA) 2021
- Awarded 4 Star Rating (highest) by Institution Innovation Council (IIC) for 2020-21
- Galgotias University is Ranked No. 1 for SDG 10 (Reduced Inequality) and Overall Ranked in A1 Band (Rank 1-10), PAN India for excellence towards offering global and Holistic Education | Global Impact Rankings (Based on 17 SDG by the United Nations) by R World Institution Ranking
- Engineering Programs in Computer Science and Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Mechanical Engineering are accredited by NBA (National Board of Accreditation), India
- Ranked 3rd in India and 1st in Uttar Pradesh in OBE Ranking 2021 by R World Institution Ranking
- 1st amongst Private Universities and 3rd amongst all Universities in Uttar Pradesh for uploading maximum E-Contents on Online Digital Library Uttar Pradesh Portal
- Galgotias University is ranked 10th across India and is positioned in the ‘A1 Band: Institution of Excellence’ category in MHW Ranking 2021 by R World Institutional Ranking
- Amongst Top 5 Business Colleges in Uttar Pradesh by India Today Ranking 2020
Mission, vision, and differentiator
To be known globally for value-based education, research, creativity, and innovation
- Establish state-of-the-art facilities for world-class education and research
- Collaborate with industry and society to align the curriculum
- Involve in societal outreach programs to identify concerns and provide sustainable, ethical solutions.
- Encourage life-long learning and team-based problem solving through an enabling environment
- Outcome-based Education across all disciplines in the university since inception
- Students’ council and club
- 100% admissions and close to 100 percent placements, higher educations and entrepreneurship together
At Galgotias University, students are encouraged to follow their passion apart from academics to deliver holistically and overall development. The 30 plus clubs take care of this, and in addition to this, IPR cell, E cell, Research Cell, Startup community, Placement cell, and IIC cell allow the students to do all experimentation exposure and bring the best out of them. The CPDD (Career placement Department) inputs from industries and recruiters and value addition programs are arranged in the departments.
Nobel laureates’ lectures from various fields create an ideal environment for setting up their careers.
A message for the students
Dr. Preeti says, “Education is a never-ending topic, and the more you learn about it, the more you learn. Immerse yourself in diverse writers’ works and read various books on your themes and beyond until you find a story that resonates with you. Learning can take place anywhere, be a learner throughout your life, and you shall achieve new heights.”
She believes that the students should grab every opportunity that comes their way, no matter how small or big it is. She adds, “It doesn’t matter whether it’s small or big as every opportunity opens the door for the new one. Always keep your spirits high and let your confidence show through your work. Be your mentor, decide what you want to be, and don’t dream because someone else wants you to do so.”
Outlook for the future
Dr. Preeti Bajaj envisions a university where everyone feels valued and appreciated regardless of race, gender or religion. She advocates skill-based India, Startup India, and dream for the university wherein the students intend to become job providers rather than the seeker. She adds, “My priority is to make the university get Accredited by National and international agencies and to be one of the most digitally driven, internationally recognised research-based University with international accreditations.”