The historic year was 1994 when the foundation of the International Institute of Hotel Management (IIHM) was laid. This premier institute is a part of IndiSmart Group, a large conglomerate that operates the IndiSmart Hotels and offers a wide range of services in the field of Hospitality Management Education Training & Consultancy in India and South East Asia. Today, being the largest Hotel School Chain in the field of International Hospitality Management Education in India, IIHM has campuses at Kolkata, Delhi, Pune, Bangalore, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Goa, Samarkand (Uzbekistan) and state-of-the-art IIHM at KBU Bangkok in the capital city of Thailand.
An Adept Leadership
The person leading IIHM from the front is none other than Dr. Suborno Bose, the Founder of the institute. He is a Chartered Accountant with over 30 years of entrepreneurial experience in India and abroad. He is also the founder and chief mentor of the Indismart Group. Dr. Bose is inarguably the country’s best-known educator in the hospitality sector with the presence of his institute’s major brands like IIHM and IAM Hotel Schools. He has been conferred the honorary Doctor of Business Administration by Edinburgh Napier University, UK and the honorary award of Doctor of Science by the University of West London, the U.K. at London.
About the Hotel Management Programs
IIHM is the first collegiate program in the country to offer discerning students with the opportunity to be trained in globally recognized skills and earn an International degree in Hospitality Management through its collaboration with University of West London, London.
The Institute offers a dual degree program in Hotel Management with a BA in Hospitality from the University of West London and a Tourism Degree from IGNOU. In this robust curriculum, all major subjects are included i.e. Front Office, House Keeping, Food & Beverage Service, and Food & Beverage Production, etc.
After successful completion of their graduation from Hotel Management, students have multiple career options to choose from such as Hotels, Restaurants, Bars, Facility Management, Catering, Event Management, Aviation, Cruise Liner, Offshore Rigs, and Travel Agencies or they can become entrepreneurs by opening their own restaurants, bakeries, catering, etc.
With respect to student’s career, the Institute quotes, “We focus on everything that leads to students learning. As hotel Industry demands, we emphasize a lot on practical knowledge by using the best of ingredients and equipment. Our students are sent to top hotels of the world for their Industrial Training. Faculties are handpicked with good industry experience. We also send our faculties to various 5-star hotels for cross training to understand the latest industry trends. At IIHM, we do not leave any stone unturned to give the best of education to our students”.
The Reason to Choose IIHM
IIHM is the only college in the world that organizes world’s biggest culinary Olympiad – Young Chef Olympiad, where 50 countries take part from all over the world, thereby giving the opportunity to the students to network with chefs of 50 countries. It is also the only college in India which has made WSET level 1 as a part of its curriculum where all the 3rd year Food & Beverage major students must be WSET 1 certified and is conducting WSET 2 & 3 for its students. It is also the only approved program provider among colleges/ institutes of WSET level 1, 2, and 3. Being one of the premier institutes, it also organizes International Hospitality Day, a day dedicated to the entire Hospitality Fraternity of the World in association with International Hospitality Council (IHC) London to celebrate, promote, and educate Hospitality.
Additionally, it is the only institute which has a continuous industry interface where General Managers and Managing Directors take live sessions for the students on revenue management, entrepreneurship, and other specific areas.
The premier institute has upper hand over the other institutes in the following offerings:
- Largest Hotel School Chain in International Hospitality Management
- Over 10000+ IIHM alumni network across the world
- Multicultural real-time environment and modern infrastructure.
- Provides technology and IT-focused support on hospitality education and has introduced digital marketing as a subject.
- Social media powerhouse with more than 3.3 million followers on Facebook.
- State-of-the-art facilities in all campuses
- Signed MOU with IUBH International University, Germany to study Master’s in hospitality in Berlin
- Awarded by ABP News as “Brand Excellence Award in Hospitality Sector 2016”
- Organized biggest India competition for school students named “Young Chef India Schools” and “Junior Young Chef India Schools”
- WSET – Wine and Spirit Education Trust (UK). Certification in Wine Studies. There are only seven program providers in India along with IIHM. The hospitality Industry comes to IIHM for WSET Certification
- IIHM is the only college from India to be approved and funded by the European Union to work in ERASMUS project where it undertakes research in different fields of hospitality for the industry in the European Union.
- World’s first IT-enabled hospitality platform that connects over 50 countries
Awards and Recognitions
- The organizer of World’s Biggest Culinary Heats “Young Chef Olympiad” with participation from over 50 Countries
- Awarded by Economic Times “Best Education Brand 2017”
- Awarded by Economic Times “Best Education Brand 2018”
- Awarded by Economic Times “Best Education Brand 2019”
- World’s best globally connected institution. Having MOU with 50+ top globally renowned Institutions across 50+ Countries.
- IIHM featured in Forbes magazine as “Great Indian Institute” 2018-19.
Overall Development of Students
When it comes to the education, the international curriculum at IIHM is designed to motivate students to learn holistically through research, field trips, and surveys. Through this, the students are regularly exposed to the practices and problems within the hospitality industry through the kitchen, training restaurant, front office studio, and assuming responsibility for managing the operations. The mythologies employed by the Institute form intensive independent learning, field trips, surveys, food, beverage event planning, execution, comparing, contrasting, and debating established theories. It also conducts guest lectures and workshops conducted by renowned speakers from India and abroad with the global connect initiative.
Additionally, the Institute conducts the following exposure programs for the students.
- Erasmus project to Sweden and Turkey on the student exchange program
- World’s Biggest Culinary Heats Young Chef Olympiad with the participation of over 50 Countries.
- Wine tour to Italy France and Spain
- Scotch tour to Scotland
- Rookie chef competitions for 1st year students in Bangkok
- Superchef competitions for 3rd years in Bangkok
- Food festivals
- The only college that does Caviar Service Practical for its students where students taste and learn how to serve caviar.
- International Industrial Training option for students in 2nd Year
Looking at the Future
The Institute will continue to deliver the best of Hotel Management alongside keeping its keen eyes on the trending topics and technological advancements. This year, the Institute is expectant to launching Culinary Tour to France for the students. It has received Invitation from His Highness Shriji Arvind Singh Mewar to his palace to do research on heritage hotels and hospitality. IIHM is also looking forward to setting up more exposure programs towards the food industry by administering more visits to factories like milk and rice, Sula Vineyards in Nasik, and organizing brewery tours.