For an aspiring hospitality student, choosing a good hotel management institution is a crucial decision. There are plenty of options available. But, the most important part, though, is to figure out the value of the school.
Alongside value, they might consider aspects such as the institute’s reputation, placement track record, infrastructure and a curriculum that promises professional excellence.
The Knowledge Review has the perfect example of an institute that exhibits all the aforementioned qualities. We are talking about the International Institute of Hotel Management (IIHM).
The foundations of IIHM were laid in 1994. This premier institute is a part of IndiSmart Group, a large conglomerate that operates the IndiSmart Hotels. Packing such power, it offers a wide range of services in the domain of Hospitality Management Education Training & Consultancy in India and South East Asia.
The curriculum at IIHM includes a dual degree program where students can opt for Hotel Management with B.A in Hospitality from the University of West London. They can also pursue a Tourism degree from IGNOU. Students at IIHM learn through a robust curriculum in disciplines of Front Office, House Keeping, Food & Beverage Service and Food & Beverage Production.
Today, IIHM is the largest Hotel School chain in the field of International Hospitality Management Education in India. IIHM has campuses in Kolkata, Delhi, Pune, Bangalore, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Goa, Samarkand (Uzbekistan) and state-of-the-art IIHM at KBU Bangkok in the capital city of Thailand.
The Guiding Light of IIHM
The individual leading IIHM from the front is none other than Dr. Suborno Bose, the Founder of the institute. He is a Chartered Accountant with over 30 years of entrepreneurial experience in India and abroad.
He is also the founder and chief mentor of the IndiSmart Group. Dr. Bose is known for being the country’s best-known educator in the hospitality sector. With the presence of his institute’s major brands like IIHM and IAM Hotel Schools, he has been conferred the honorary Doctor of Business Administration. His 1st book “The Art of Hospitality” is being released in the 1st quarter of 2020.
Dr. Suborno earned this accreditation from Edinburgh Napier University, UK and the honorary award of Doctor of Science from the University of West London, U.K.
IIHM is the only college in the world that organizes the world’s biggest culinary Olympiad titled Young Chef Olympiad. Herein, over 50 countries take part from all over the world, thereby giving the opportunity to the students to network with chefs of 50 countries. It is also the only college in India that has made WSET level 1 as a part of its curriculum. All the 3rd year Food & Beverage major students must be WSET 1 certified and are conducting WSET 2 & 3 for its students. It is also the only approved program provider among colleges/institutes of WSET level 1, 2, and 3.
Being one of the premier institutes, it also organizes International Hospitality Day, a day dedicated to the entire Hospitality Fraternity of the World in association with International Hospitality Council (IHC) London. The primary goal is to celebrate, promote, and educate Hospitality.
Additionally, it is the only institute which has a continuous industry interface where General Managers and Managing Directors take live sessions for the students. The topics include revenue management, entrepreneurship and other specific areas.
The premier institute has upper hand over the other institutes in the following offerings:
- Largest Hotel School Chain in International Hospitality Management
- Over 10000+ IIHM alumni network across the world
- Multicultural real-time environment and modern infrastructure.
- Provides technology and IT-focused support on hospitality education. Also, the introduction of digital marketing as a subject.
- Social media powerhouse with more than 3.6 million followers on Facebook.
- State-of-the-art facilities on all campuses
- Signed MOU with IUBH International University, Germany to study Master’s in hospitality in Berlin
- Awarded by ABP News as “Brand Excellence Award in Hospitality Sector 2016”
- Organizes World’s biggest competition for school students named “Young Chef India Schools” and “Junior Young Chef India Schools” that covers students from class 4th to 12th.
- WSET – Wine and Spirit Education Trust (UK). Certification in Wine Studies. There are only seven program providers in India along with IIHM. The hospitality Industry comes to IIHM for WSET Certification
- IIHM is the only college from India to be approved and funded by the European Union to work in the ERASMUS project. There it undertakes research in different fields of hospitality for the industry in the European Union.
- World’s first IT-enabled hospitality platform that connects over 50 countries
Awards and Recognitions
- The organizer of World’s Biggest Culinary Heats “Young Chef Olympiad” with participation from over 50 Countries
- Awarded by Economic Times “Best Education Brand 2017”
- Awarded by Economic Times “Best Education Brand 2018”
- Awarded by Economic Times “Best Education Brand 2019”
- World’s best globally connected institution. Having an MOU with 50+ top globally renowned Institutions across 50+ Countries
- IIHM featured in Forbes magazine as “Great Indian Institute” 2018-19, 2019-20
Exposure at its Best
The International curriculum at IIHM is designed to motivate students to learn holistically through research, field trips and surveys. The students are regularly exposed to the practices and problems within the hospitality industry through work in the kitchen, the training restaurant and the Front Office Studio and assume responsibility for managing the operations. The methodologies include Intensive independent learning, field trips, surveys, food and beverage event planning and execution, comparing, contrasting & debating established theories.
Let’s dive into some of the details of exposure programs:
- Guest lectures and workshops conducted by renowned speakers (from India and abroad) with the global connect initiative
- Erasmus Project to Sweden, Turkey, and France on the student exchange program
- World’s Biggest Culinary Heats Young Chef Olympiad with the participation of over 50 Countries.
- Wine Tour to Italy France and Spain
- Culinary tour to France for selected students who are interested in culinary arts
- Scotch Tour to Scotland
- Rookie Chef Competitions for 1st Years in Bangkok
- Super Chef Competitions for 3rd Years in Bangkok
- Food Festivals
- The only college that does Caviar Service Practical for its students where students taste and learn how to serve caviar.
- Visits to Rice factories Breweries, Vineyards and other products depending on location.
- International Industrial Training option for students in 2nd Year
Words of Trust
IIHM has students across the world currently working from America to Australia. With a base of over 10,000 students in the last 30 years, students have spread far and wide handling varied profiles in the industry and related fields.
Let’s hear from one of the alumni:
“From being a hospitality student to General Manager at Hyatt Regency Lucknow, I look back at my journey thus far with immense gratitude towards my alma mater IIHM Kolkata. I have the sweetest memories of my days at college and marvel at the milestones and experiences in my transformation from a student to being a proud hotelier.”
–Mr. Ashish Kumar, General Manager, Hyatt Regency, Lucknow
The Forthcoming Years
The institute will continue to deliver the best of Hotel Management, alongside keeping its keen eyes on the trending topics and technological advancements. This year, the institute has launched a Culinary Tour to France for 10 students for 12 days. It has received an invitation from His Highness Shriji Arvind Singh Mewar to his palace to do research on Hotels. IIHM is also looking forward to setting up more exposure programs towards the food industry by administering more visits to factories like milk and rice, Sula Vineyards in Nasik, and organizing brewery tours.
For further information about the institute,click here