Every adult knows that fitness and exercise play a very important role in any individual’s life. It matters whether the growing teenagers know this and whether or not they are implementing it. For students, sports and regular exercise is essential for education and physical development. It helps students to engage in physical activities, interact with the people around them, and also helps increase concentration both in the classroom and while studying at home.
Benefits of Physical Fitness among Students
Maintaining physical fitness is of utmost importance for today’s tech-savvy students. These days they are mostly engaged in mobile phones, laptops, and TV. In fact, today’s digital era demands use of modern gadgets to perform educational and other such activities. But parents should make sure that their children are not merely confined to using electronic devices. They should encourage children to participate actively in physical activities and sports. There are numerous scopes of encouraging students at a young age to develop a hobby which always keeps them fit and happy.
Being physically fit doesn’t require rigorous exercise schedule. Following basic healthy practices is sufficient to keep an individual fit. There are various benefits of regular exercise and maintaining a healthy routine which have been mentioned below:
- Disease Prevention: Regular exercise helps in reducing blood sugar levels and controls blood pressure. It helps one to keep their health at check, and prevent strokes and heart diseases.
- Weight Control: Students of today’s generation are prone to diseases due to excess body weight and increased cholesterol levels. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle will contribute in burning fats, reducing body weight, and cholesterol levels.
- Physical Development: If parents support and allow their children to engage in fitness activities, then it can work wonders for them. Regular exercise during adolescence can provide impressive results and will keep students healthy and energized. It also helps in strengthening muscles, bones, and joints.
- Stress Management: These days, stress has become a very common issue among the young generation. Excess pressure related to studies, projects, school, and home work can increase their stress levels and may also hamper their confidence. Healthy activities can boost an individual both physically and mentally. It helps in strengthening inter-personal relationships and makes a person stress free.
- Enhances Confidence and Energy Levels: Being fit helps in overcoming laziness. It helps individuals to remain active, energetic, and maintain a positive attitude all the time. Also, exercise makes students competent and prompt, and they deliver positive outcomes in comparatively less time.
- Improving Mental Health: Regular exercise not only enhances physical health, but also mental health. An active and healthy lifestyle helps a student to be more attentive in classroom and enhances their focus and memory. This enhances their capacity to remember what has been taught in class. Parents should encourage their students to be active in sports and exercise as this would provide them the energy and enhance their focus to perform well at school.
A healthy routine enhances a student’s personality and helps them to perform physical activities without getting tired or restless. It not only ensures physical fitness, but also helps students to overcome stress and maintain a positive attitude.
Role of Parents
Parents can encourage the children to participate in school sport events, dance classes, yoga, and other fitness-related activities. Sometimes children may get distracted and frustrated while studying for long hours. In this case, parents can schedule short study breaks so that students can stretch, clear up their mind, and regain their focus before getting back to study.
Parents can also spend weekends with their children and carry out activities like indoor games, riding cycle, walking in the park, and so on. They can also select a day when the entire family engages in productive and fun activities. Parents should also take turns and give children the opportunity to choose an activity they want to engage into.
Involving Students in After School Activities
Engaging in sports like hockey, football, and cricket can help students to get the much needed exercise. It can also enhance their social skills like team work, cooperation, communication, and so on. Students can also be a part of nature clubs, dance, music, and health clubs. They may prefer to participate in interesting physical activities which will also be good for their health.
Physical activity is an important component for students to achieve success at school. Maintaining a healthy routine and engaging in healthy physical activities will contribute in improving a student’s mental and physical health. This will in turn increase their concentration and improve their performance in classroom.
- Ananda Kamal Das